What’s up pal? It’s me, the 34 year old you! I was thinking about you the other day and I wanted to write this letter so you had an idea of what life is like in your next 17 years.. I’m not going to ruin anything but felt you would enjoy a glimpse of your future. Here…….we……go:
1) You are 17 right now and if memory serves me right you are doubting your ability on the diamond and whether or not you have what it takes to compete at the next level. Let me tell you that this doubt is what keeps you honest. It keeps you hungry to better yourself. This doubt pushes you to learn the mental side of the game. It’s not all roses but in the end it works out alright for you. Do yourself a favor and put extra special padding in your cup because in the year 2000 there are a lot of balls in the dirt that don’t hit your theigh!!!
2) While you have already made up your mind about going to Community College I will tell you that you do make it to a 4-year University that you’ll be VERY happy with. You meet a ton of great people that ultimately become some of your closest friendships. You struggle though some stuff but nothing that doesn’t prove to be a betterment for your life direction. You’ll set individual goals and again face doubt on whether or not it can be achieved. But, you find a way. Ohh and remember the phrase “Stealth Team.” College is a lot of fun thanks to Dogshow, Baby Elvis, The General and the man you’ll come to address as Dirtball. And Math doesn’t get any easier once you get to College…that shit is for assholes anyway!
3) College ends just as quick as it starts and it’s time to leave your mark on the real world. At this point you start to think about that whole “life’s direction” stuff and are unsure as to what path to take. Ultimately you take a job that enables you to learn and create your own niche. It’s not easy, you will be tested early on in your career so remember to breathe, relax and don’t take things personal. Step back and understand that it’s just work! Similar to college you meet a lot of people who also become very close to you and your wife. Did I just say wife?
4) Yup….you get married. Someone actually makes the sacrifice of dealing with your shit and decides that life’s journey is worth taking with you. Memories and experiences wouldn’t be the same without her! You’ll learn the phrase “happy wife = happy life” and ultimately become a better person for having her. Together you meet the most amazing human being who ultimately changes your life. This particular person steals your heart! Invest in a shotgun and a shovel…..
5) Life starts moving quicker in your 30’s. Early on (I think you are about 32) an unforseen medical emergency occurs that takes a deep emotiional toll on you that is hard to process. It will seem like your world is crashing down and you don’t know why. It’s VERY IMPORTANT that you keep calm, trust the professionals and “clear the mechanism.” Everything is OK. I can’t say sleeping gets better but you refine your instincts and learn from the experience…a defining moment for you moving forward.
6) You know how you always wanted to spread your view of the world around you to others? Well technology advances to the point where you can share with others in an instant. Humor will remain a daily part of your life and you find a unique way to express through writing. Your grammar doesn’t improve but who gives a shit!
That about sums it up! Stay true to yourself, trust what your parents have taught you and jump in! You are in for a pretty cool ride brother.